Financial Aid staff will adhere to the following code of conduct that prohibits conflicts of interest with respect to Title IV, HEA loans or private education loans
- No action will be taken by financial aid staff that is for their personal benefit
or could be perceived to be a conflict of interest.
- Employees within the financial aid office will not award aid to themselves or their immediate family members. Staff will reserve this task to an institutionally designated person, to avoid the appearance of a conflict of interest.
- West Hills College, does not participate in private loans programs and does not refer students to any particular financial institution.
- No amount of cash, gift, or benefit in excess of a de minimis amount shall be accepted by a financial aid staff member from any financial aid applicant (or his/her family), or from any entity doing business with or seeking to do business with the institution (including service on advisory committees or boards beyond reimbursement for reasonable expenses directly associated with such service).
- Information provided by the financial aid office is accurate, unbiased, and does not reflect preference arising from actual or potential personal gain.
- Institutional award notifications and/or other institutionally provided materials
shall include the following:
- A breakdown of individual components of the institution's Cost of Attendance
- Clear identification of each award, indicating type of aid, i.e. gift aid (grant, scholarship), work, or loan.
- Standard terminology and definitions
- Renewal requirements for each award.
- All required consumer information is displayed in a prominent location on the institutional web site(s) and in any printed materials, easily identified and found, and labeled as "Consumer Information."
- Financial aid professionals will disclose to their institution any involvement, interest in, or potential conflict of interest with any entity with which the institution has a business relationship.
For additional institutional Code of Ethics see AP 3050