Almost everyone loves pizza. With it’s many options for toppings, sauces, crusts, etc. there’s a pizza for everyone! In recent years, fans of the quintessential pie have been turning everything into pizza! I’ve seen people turn pizza into toast, pasta, casserole, pot pies, and rolls (think cinnamon rolls and even spring rolls). The possibilities are endless.
Today focuses on a simple, and healthier version, of the fan favorite: the pizza quesadilla. If you love pizza but don’t always love the price tag that is attached to delivery, or all of the work that goes into making it from scratch, then pizza quesadillas are for you. They’re cheap, easy to make, and are a great lower carb option for lunch or a snack.
This recipe is for pepperoni pizza quesadillas, but you can add whatever toppings you’d like.
- 2 Flour Tortillas – 8 inch size is recommended
- 2 Tbsp. Pizza Sauce – any tomato sauce will do but pizza sauce is recommended
- 10 – 12 Slices Pepperoni
- 6 – 8 Tbsp. Shredded Mozzarella Cheese – pizza blend works too!
- Butter – this will make your quesadilla nice and crispy
- Place a paper towel on a microwave safe plate and spread out the pepperoni in a single layer. Microwave for 20 – 30 seconds and then remove some of the melted fat by blotting with the paper towel. This step is optional but helps to reduce the amount of grease in your quesadilla.
- In a thin layer, spread the tomato sauce on a tortilla. Add sliced of pepperoni to one half of the tortilla.
- Sprinkle the cheese over the pepperoni and fold the sauce only half of the tortilla over the toppings.
- Melt some butter in a skilled and place the quesadilla into the skillet, cooking 2 – 3 minutes or until lightly browned.
- While cooking the first side, lightly butter the other side, and then flip and cook until browned.
- Remove your quesadilla from heat and let it sit for a couple of minutes. Cut into quarters or thirds and serve with your favorite pizza dipping sauce.
And there you have it. A slightly healthier, and much simpler, version of the nation’s favorite savory pie. Be sure to check out the Golden Eagle Pantry for the ingredients you’ll need plus the extras you want to add.