Communication Studies AA-T
The Associate in Arts in Communication Studies for Transfer degree is designed to provide the opportunity to achieve an associate degree in the student’s area of specialization. The Associate in Arts in Communication Studies for Transfer degree is designed to prepare students for a seamless transfer into the CSU system to complete a baccalaureate degree in Communication Studies or similar degree. While a baccalaureate degree is recommended preparation for those considering professional careers in teaching, marketing, broadcasting, or mass communication, the completion of this program will demonstrate commitment to the field, and provide comprehensive preparation for upper division work.
Program Student Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of the program, students will be able to:
- demonstrate basic public speaking delivery techniques.
- solve problems utilizing effective conflict management styles, decision making, and leadership.
- understand and utilize the interdependent nature of verbal and nonverbal communication in the communication transactional process.
- demonstrate effective argumentation by formulating written and/or oral arguments that are free of errors in reasoning.
- perform a variety of verbal and nonverbal skills to bring literature to life and heighten the effectiveness of the performer’s message.
Associate Degree for Transfer requirements (pursuant to SB 1440):
- Complete a minimum of 18 semester units in a major or area of emphasis
- Complete IGETC or CSU General Education – Breadth requirements
- Complete total of 60 CSU transferable semester units
- Complete all required courses for the major or area of emphasis with a “C” or better
- Obtain an overall minimum grade point average of 2.0
|Required Core Courses|
|COM-001||Elements of Speech|
|COM-002||Oral Interpretation of Literature|
|COM-003||Argumentation and Debate|
|COM-004||Small Group Dynamics and Presentation|
|Chose on course from below: 3 units|
|ENG-001B||Literature, Critical Thinking & Writing|
|SOC-001||Introduction to Sociology|
|CSU-GE-B or IGETC requirements (allowing double counting)||37-39|
|CSU Transferable Electives||9-15|
This is a recommended sequence of courses for timely completion of this program. Entry in to transfer level English and math required to follow this recommended sequence. Please see your counselor to formalize your personalized educational plan or for alternative planning.
- SEMESTER 1
- SEMESTER 2
- HIST-017A or 017B3
- PSYCH-001 or SOC-0013
- SEMESTER 3
- BIO-010 or 0153
- SEMESTER 4