Liberal Arts Emphasis in Elementary Teacher Preparation AA
The Liberal Arts Degree with an Emphasis in Elementary Teacher Preparation, is designed for students who are interested in transferring to a university and completing a Liberal Arts or Liberal Studies degree and continuing on to earn a multiple subject teaching credential.
Program Student Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of the program, students will be able to:
- compose a formal, argumentative MLA-style research paper that shows an understanding of the writing process, technical correctness, and higher level critical thinking skills.
- identify a career path and educational goals for a career in education taking into consideration the level(s) they want to teach and the institution(s) where they want to complete their degree(s) and credential(s).
- provide a college-level in-class written analysis of authors’ content and style.
- develop and teach a standards-based lesson in an authentic educational setting that will include intention/rationale, process, assessment, and reflection.
- demonstrate basic public speaking delivery techniques.
The students must complete 24 units from the list of required coursework. The courses designated by a (*) are considered preparation for a CSU.
|Required Core Courses|
|ENG 001A||Composition and Reading||3|
|COM 001||Elements of Speech||3|
|EDUC 001||Introduction to Teaching||3|
|* EDUC 005||Critical Thinking in the Classroom||3|
|or ENG 001B||Literature/ Critical Thinking & Writing||3|
|ART 016A||Survey of Western Art: Pre-History||3|
|or ART 016B||Survey of Western Art: Renaissance||3|
|or ART 042||Art Appreciation||3|
|or MUS 042||Music Appreciation||3|
|POLSCI 001||American Government||3|
|HUM 001||Introduction to Western Culture||3|
|* MATH 010A||Structure & Concepts in Mathematics I||3|
|or MATH 025||Introduction to Statistics||4|
|* BIO 015||Biology for Education||3|
|or BIO 010||Fundamentals of Biology||3|
|* HIST 017A||History of the U.S. 1492-1877||3|
|or HIST 017B||History of the U.S. 1865-PRESENT||3|
|* PHYSCI 002||Chemistry and Physics for Educators||4|
|or GEOG 001||Physical Geography||4|
This is a recommended sequence of courses for timely completion of this program. Entry in to transfer level English and math is required to follow this recommended sequence. Please see your counselor to formalize your personalized educational plan or for alternative planning.