Associate of Arts in English for Transfer Degree (English AA-T)
The Associate of Arts in English for Transfer Degree (AA-T) program is designed to provide entry-level skills and knowledge for a student transferring to a 4-year institution with a major in English. The English major requires 18 units in English and related fields. Course work in this program will provide a foundation in subjects students will study as English majors in 4-year colleges or university programs. The English major prepares student for four-year programs with emphasis in composition, literature, and creative writing.
To earn the Associate in Arts in English for Transfer Degree, a student must:
- Complete all degree course requirements in the major as outlined below with grades of C or better.
- Complete a minimum of 60 CSU-transferable semester units with a minimum grade point average of 2.0.
- Complete either the CSU General Education Breadth pattern (CSU GE) which requires a minimum of 39 units, or the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC), which requires 34-38 units. Double counting of courses is encouraged and permitted. Students are not required to complete the West Hills College Lemoore’s local graduation requirements (Health Education 35 and two units of activity courses, if applicable).Program Student Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of the program, students will be able to:
- write about topics in a manner that demonstrates college-level writing skills with lucid claims for a variety of purposes and audiences. This writing will exhibit critical thinking, control of meaning, maturity of style, and appropriate tone.
- identify the strengths and weaknesses of a piece of writing, including cogent or fallacious reasoning, as well as the assumptions, values, rhetorical moves, premises, and logical progressions.
- exhibit an ability to interpret and analyze a variety of fiction and non-fiction works from a variety of genres, eras, and cultures.
- locate, evaluate, interpret, and engage appropriate and credible sources and correctly incorporate source material into their arguments in rhetorically effective ways
|Required Core Courses|
|ENG 002||Introduction to Literature||3|
|ENG 003||Argumentative Writ & Crit Thinking||3|
|ENG 004||World Literature||3|
|ENG 005||American Literature||3|
|ENG 025||Introduction to Creative Writing||3|
|Elective taken from recommended list below (Choose 1)|
|HUM 001||Introduction to Western Culture||3|
|JOURN 001||Introduction to Mass Communication||3|
|JOURN 002A||Introduction to News Writing||3|
|COM 002||Oral Interpretation of Literature||3|
|PA 001||Introduction to Theater||3|
|LING 011||Introduction to Linguistics||3|
- SEMESTER 3
- ENG 0253
- HIST-017A or 017B3