Liberal Arts Emphasis in Elementary Teacher Preparation AA
The Liberal Arts Degree with an Emphasis in Elementary Teacher Preparation, is designed for students who are interested in transferring to a university and completing a Liberal Arts or Liberal Studies degree and continuing on to earn a multiple subject teaching credential.
Program Student Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of the program, students will be able to:
- compose a formal, argumentative MLA-style research paper that shows an understanding of the writing process, technical correctness, and higher level critical thinking skills.
- identify a career path and educational goals for a career in education taking into consideration the level(s) they want to teach and the institution(s) where they want to complete their degree(s) and credential(s).
- provide a college-level in-class written analysis of authors’ content and style.
- develop and teach a standards-based lesson in an authentic educational setting that will include intention/rationale, process, assessment, and reflection.
- demonstrate basic public speaking delivery techniques.
The students must complete 24 units from the list of required coursework. The courses designated by a (*) are considered preparation for a CSU.
|Required Core Courses|
|ENG-001A||Composition and Reading|
|COM-001||Elements of Public Speaking|
|EDUC-001||Introduction to Teaching|
|EDUC-005||Critical Thinking in the Classroom|
|ENG-001B||Literature, Critical Thinking and Writing|
|ART-016A||Survey of Western Art: Pre-History to Proto-Renaissance|
|ART-016B||Survey of Western Art: Renaissance to the Present|
|HUM-001||Introduction to Western Culture|
|MATH-010A||Structure & Concepts in Mathematics|
|MATH-025||Introduction to Statistics|
|BIO-015||Biology for Education|
|BIO-010||Fundamentals of Biology|
|HIST-017A||History of the U.S. 1492-1877|
|HIST-017B||History of the US 1865-Present|
|PHYSCI-002||Chemistry and Physics for Educators|
This is a recommended sequence of courses for timely completion of this program. Entry in to transfer level English and math is required to follow this recommended sequence. Please see your counselor to formalize your personalized educational plan or for alternative planning.
- SEMESTER 1
- SEMESTER 2
- EDUC-005 or SOC-0023
- SEMESTER 3
- ART/MUS-042 or PA-0013
- SEMESTER 4