Elementary Teacher Education AA-T
The Associate in Arts in Elementary Teacher Education for Transfer degree is designed to provide the opportunity to achieve an associate degree in the student’s area of specialization. Upon completion of the degree requirement, students will begin preparation for careers such as teaching, operating a daycare, social work, and school administration. The Associate in Arts in Elementary Teacher Education for Transfer degree is designed to prepare students for a seamless transfer into the CSU system to complete a baccalaureate degree in Elementary Teacher Education or similar major.
Program Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of the program, student will be able to:
- compose a formal, argumentative MLA-style research paper that shows an understanding of the writing process, technical correctness, and higher level critical thinking skills.
- identify a career path and educational goals for a career in education taking into consideration the level(s) they want to teach and the institution(s) where they want to complete their degree(s) and credential(s).
- provide a college-level in-class written analysis of authors’ content and style.
- develop and teach a standards-based lesson in an authentic educational setting that will include intention/rationale, process, assessment, and reflection.
- demonstrate basic public speaking delivery techniques.
Associate Degree for Transfer requirements (pursuant to SB 1440):
- Complete a minimum of 18 semester units in a major or area of emphasis
- Complete IGETC or CSU General Education – Breadth requirements
- Complete total of 60 CSU transferable semester units
- Complete all required courses for the major or area of emphasis with a “C” or better
- Obtain an overall minimum grade point average of 2.0
|Required Core Courses|
|BIO-015||Biology for Education|
|COM-001||Elements of Speech|
|EDUC-001||Introduction to Teaching|
|ENG-001A||Composition and Reading|
|ENG-001B||Literature, Critical Thinking and Writing|
|ESCI-002||Introduction to Earth Science|
|GEOG-002||World Regional Geography|
|HIST-017A||History of the U.S. 1492-1877|
|HIST-020||World History I|
|LING-011||Introduction to Linguistics|
|MATH-010A||Structure and Concepts in Mathematics I|
|MATH-010B||Structure and Concepts in Mathematics II|
|PHYSCI-002||Chemistry and Physics for Educators|
|List A: Choose one course from below, 3 units|
|EDUC-005||Critical Thinking in the Classroom|
|SOC-002||Critical Thinking Social Problems|
|List B: Choose one course from below, 3 units|
|PA-001||Introduction to Theater||3|
|CSU Transferable Electives||4|
This is a recommended sequence of courses for timely completion of this program. Entry in to transfer level English and math is required to follow this recommended sequence. Please see your counselor to formalize your personalized educational plan or for alternative planning.
- SEMESTER 1
- MATH-010A or 0253-4
- SEMESTER 2
- EDUC-005 or ENG-001B3
- ART-016A,016B,042, or MUS-0423
- SEMESTER 3
- BIO-010 or 0153
- HIST-017A or 017B3
- SEMESTER 4
- PHYSCI-002 or GEOG-0014