Child Development - Early Childhood Education AS-T
The Associate in Science in Early Childhood Education for Transfer degree curriculum is designed to provide the opportunity to achieve a broad-based associate degree and a seamless transfer into the CSU system to complete a baccalaureate degree in Early Childhood Education. While a baccalaureate degree is recommended preparation for those considering professional careers in this field, the completion of this program will demonstrate commitment to the field, and provide comprehensive preparation for upper division work. Upon completion of this degree, students will be prepared to enter careers such as teaching, pre- school/child care operation, community service, social services, and government.
Program Student Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of the program, students will be able to:
- comprehensive knowledge and will be able to identify, analyze and/or evaluate typical and atypical growth and development of young children.
- comprehensive knowledge of nutrition, health and safety issues and prevention strategies pertaining to young children.
- the ability to plan, create, implement and/or evaluate age-appropriate curriculum, while developing the ability to produce written observations and/or assessments.
- the ability to identify and work with diverse families and recognize socialization issues pertaining to children.
- knowledge of and have the ability to identify effective methods of working with diverse people.
Associate Degree for Transfer requirements (pursuant to SB 1440):
- Complete a minimum of 18 semester units in a major or area of emphasis
- Complete IGETC or CSU General Education – Breadth requirements
- Complete total of 60 CSU transferable semester units
- Complete all required courses for the major or area of emphasis with a “C” or better
- Obtain an overall minimum grade point average of 2.0
|Required Core Courses|
|CD-002||Teaching in a Diverse Society|
|CD-003||Observations and Assessments|
|CD-010||Child, Family and Society|
|CD-012A||Principles and Practices of Early Childhood Education|
|CD-012B||Early Childhood Practicum—Field Experience|
|CD-016||Introduction to Curriculum|
|CD-018||Health, Safety and Nutrition|
|Electives as Needed||0-2|
This is a recommended sequence of courses for timely completion of this program. Entry in to transfer level English and math required to follow this recommended sequence. Please see your counselor to formalize your personalized educational plan or for alternative planning.
- SEMESTER 1
- SEMESTER 2
- COM-001 or 0043
- HIST-017A or 017B3
- SEMESTER 3
- SEMESTER 4
- BIO-010 or 0153