Cooperative Work Experience Education (CWEE) Cooperative Work Experience Education (CWEE) develops skills and knowledge and improves self-understanding by integrating classroom study with planned, supervised work experience.
It is based on the principle that well-educated individuals develop most effectively through an educational pattern, which incorporates work experience. Through these structured experiences in business, industry, government and human services, the students bring enrichment to their college studies, which enhance their total development.
There are two types of (CWEE), General Work Experience Education and Occupational Work Experience Education. Unit credit is based on the number of hours worked by the student.
A student may earn up to 6 units maximum of General Work Experience credit or a maximum of 16 units of credit in Occupational Work Experience. A student combining General and Work Experience may earn a maximum 16 units of credit. A student receives 1 unit for each 60 hours of volunteer work, or 1 unit for every 75 hours of paid employment.
Parallel Plan A student must enroll and complete at least 7 units of instruction per semester, including work experience, and may not register for the Alternate Plan until completing an additional 7 units of other studies beyond those earned in a Parallel Plan. The Parallel Plan is to accommodate students who are working while attending college.
Alternate Plan This plan is for students who attend school full-time for one semester and work full-time during the summer session. A student must complete 12 units of regular course work before enrolling in the summer alternate plan of work experience education and then may earn up to 8 units of work experience during the summer session. A student can enroll in only one other course while he/she is enrolled in the alternative work experience program. The student must then complete an additional 7 units of successful college work before re-enrolling in either the Alternate or Parallel Plan of work experience education.
General Work Experience Education This program is designed for students working in a job that is outside their major or who have not declared a major.
Occupational Work Experience Education This program is designed for students working in the same field as their major. West Hills College Coalinga offers Occupational Work Experience in the following majors:
- Administration of Justice (AOJ 15X and 15XY)
- Agriculture (AG 15X and 15XY)
- Automotive Technology (AT 15X and 15XY)
- Business (BUS 15X and 15XY)
- Computer Information Systems (CIS 15X and 15XY)
- Diesel Technology (DT 15X and 15XY)
- Early Childhood Education (ECE 15X and 15XY)
- Educational Assistant (EA 15X and 15XY)
- Health Science (HS 15X and 15XY)
- Welding Technology (WT 15X and 15XY)
Specific Requirements For Enrollment
- Fulfill the requirements for either the Alternate or Parallel Plan.
- Be able to become involved in new or expanded responsibilities on the job.
- Make sure that the employer will cooperate with the college in the supervision and evaluation of the student.
- Attend all coordination/consultation meetings in addition to other work and class responsibilities.