The 2019-2020 catalog requires a revision. The following sub section should read as follows:


Guide to Grades

Pass/No Pass (P/NP) Option

Due to COVID-19, the request for Pass/No Pass has been extended to May 22, 2020. Before requesting this option, please contact your counselor to determine impacts on transferability.

  • P indicates grade of C or better.
  • P is not included in computing the student’s GPA.
  • P/NP grading, when it is a grading option, must be declared during the first 22% of the class (by the end of week 4 in an 18 week class)
  • P/NP is an option on select courses only as noted in the catalog.
  • Students must select the P/NP option with their instructor by week four of a semester length class, this is prorated for short term classes.
  • P/NP grades are not eligible for change to a letter grade.
  • P/NP is not recommended for students planning to transfer to a university.



Excused Withdrawal (EW)

An EW is acceptable when a student withdraws from a course(s) due to reasons beyond their control, which include but are not limited to, the following:

  • Job transfer outside the geographical region;
  • Illness in the family where the student is the primary caregiver;
  • An incarcerated student in a California State Prison or County Jail is released from custody or involuntarily transferred before the end of the term (In the case of an incarcerated student, an excused withdrawal cannot be applied if the failure to complete the course(s) was the result of a student's behavioral violation or if the student requested and was granted a mid-semester transfer);
  • The student is the subject of an immigration action;
  • Death of an immediate family member;
  • Chronic or acute illness;
  • Verifiable accidents; or
  • Natural disasters directly affecting the student.

Verifiable documentation can include, but is not limited to a note from a doctor stating the student is not currently able to complete the work due to illness, employment verification of a new job, a booking report, police report of an accident, or any other documentation that proves the student’s completion of a course is impractical. The Chancellor’s Office defines impractical as impossible due to reasons beyond the student’s control. The determination shall be made by the local college’s admissions and records office.

A student may request to use an EW for only one course or all courses in a term depending on the reason for the request. It is possible a student, based on an illness for example, is not able to participate in an in-person course but is able to continue with online courses. Colleges should use individual case facts to determine the continuity of some courses and not others