Career Focus

What Can You Do With a Child Development and Education Degree or Certificate?

Love caring for children? Have a passion for education? Turn that into a career with a child development and education degree or certificate! At West Hills College, students can earn a variety of degrees and certificates. Degrees offered include Early Childhood Education and Child Development degrees as well as certificates on specific subjects of interest in the field.

What Can You Do With a Child Development and Education Degree or Certificate?

Our child development program will prepare you to enter the field of child car with a comprehensive background in the field of child growth and development. The program helps you to develop the knowledge and skills you need to be successful as a child care provider. The program also prepares you to seek employment in state funded early childhood education programs and seek licensing. You will develop a range of skill sets and learn about the practice of early child education through classes on teaching in a diverse society, parenting, health and safety and more. The program gives the student all the tools needed to immediately seek employment in childcare, apply for a Child Development Permit in the State of California or, if the student wishes to pursue further education, to transfer to a university.

Students who choose to earn the Associate Degree for Transfer are guaranteed admission, if certain other eligibility requirements are met, into a California State University.

What Can I Earn?

Entry level child care workers in California earn an average of $26,302 per year while teaching assistants earned an average wage of $34,181 in California in 2018. Students who work toward becoming preschool teachers can earn an average of $34,191 a year. Education administrators at Preschools and Child Care Centers can earn up to $50,745 annually.

Learn More About Our Child Development and Education Programs