Dreamers (AB540)

Are you a recent high school graduate or GED recipient or going to be?

Are you concerned that you can't go to college because of your immigration status?

Are your parents concerned about family confidentiality so you can't tell anyone of your immigration status?

Is the cost of higher education keeping you from applying?

If you dream of a better future, you can prepare for it, even without papers, AND you can pay lower in-state tuition instead of out-of-state tuition if you qualify for AB 540. This is possible because of a state law known as AB 540 or the California Nonresident Tuition Exemption, also known as the AB540 Affidavit.

With AB 540 you can qualify for exemption from out-of-state tuition if you:

  • Have attended a California high school for 3 full academic years
  • Have or will graduate from a California high school or have attained a G.E.D.; or received a passing mark on the California High School Proficiency Exam
  • Will register or are currently enrolled at an accredited institution of public higher education in California
  • Fill out an affidavit stating that you will apply for legal US residency as soon as possible
  • Must NOT hold a valid NON-immigrant visa
California Non Resident Tuition Exemption Request Form
Additional Financial Aid Help - California Dream Act

The California Dream Act Application allows students interested in attending eligible California Colleges, Universities and Career Education Programs to apply for state financial aid. This application is unrelated to the federal Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program.

To learn more about the California Dream Act and to Apply visit https://dream.csac.ca.gov/