As of January 1st, 2014 the GED exam was changed. All exams taken prior to this date were voided. ACE North (room 273) at West Hills Lemoore can help students navigate through these changes and successfully pass the new GED exam.
Changes to the Exam
Scheduling the Exam:
- The registration process for the new GED test is much simpler. Students can now register for the exam 24/7 and test dates are offered weekly at proctoring sites.
- Each exam is $35 (all four exams $140). GED now offers a discount for students who do not pass the exam the first time.
- The passing GED scores have been lowered from 150 to 145 in each section, effective March 2016.
- Test-takers will need to reach a score of at least 145 on each of the FOUR content modules (a score of 170 or above receives honors).
- Delivered exclusively on the computer
How We Can Help
ACE North at West Hills College Lemoore offers computer-assisted learning that prepares students for the technology change. We also offer one-on-one tutoring and workshops focused on GED concepts.
ACE North programs include:
Aztec offers fully Common Core aligned skills assessments in its GED® Preparation Series, allowing students to really drill down and learn the concepts that they are struggling with. Aztec is our primary source for GED practice. Aztec focuses on:
- Computer Literacy
- Social Studies
Learning Express Library is a great online tool for:
- Online practice exams for program entry or licensure (GED, PSB, Cosmetology, NCLEX, etc.)
- Self-paced review courses in basic grammar, writing, math, and reading.
- Free eBooks for skills review, practice exam, and concept review.
Khan Academy offers practice exercises, instructional videos, and a personalized learning dashboard that empower learners to study at their own pace in and outside of the classroom. Khan Academy covers math, science, computer programming, history, art history, economics, and more. Students are registered to Khan for math skills. We have an online classroom set up that they get added to, so that we can monitor their progress and check for understanding. Many students find this program very helpful in reviewing and building math skills. The tutorials, videos and live chat responses are great tool for students.
Career Pillar is a computer program available online, that offers tutorials, videos and practice modules to help students grow in the following areas:
Explore & Grow- Encouraging users from childhood to adult, to explore the job sector possibilities and grow in personal innovation.
Land the Job- Empowering job seekers to approach interviews with self-awareness and confidence.
Community- Inspiring empathy, engagement, and collaboration within a diverse community.
Technology- Adaptive personalized courses designed to facilitate lifelong learning with engaging content and real-life examples.
We offer students the opportunity work on life skills, business education, work skills, medical technology, education, and many other areas of interest.
The following are some samples of the modules available:
- Resumes - Action Plan
In your job search, you may think that an interview is your first chance to make a good impression on a potential employer. But the hiring manager’s perception of you is actually started in the way you apply for the job. Your resume and cover letter are an introduction that plays a big part in determining whether you will advance in the selection process.
- Education, Child Development & Family Services - Action Plan
In this Action Plan segment, students will explore career possibilities with levels of education and consider activities they can start right away to further prepare for a successful career in ECD & Family Services.
- First Steps In Exploration - Career Pathways
The Career Pathways series offers students an opportunity to explore several different industry sectors and consider the possibilities of a rewarding career in each area.
- Health Science & Medical Technology – Action Plan
In this Action Plan segment, students will explore career possibilities with levels of education and consider activities they can start right away to further prepare for a successful career in Health Science & Medical Technology.
Career Pillar is set up within our program to help guide students and gain interest in possible career choices and opportunities. Students log into the program and complete the modules that are assigned to them. Most often they complete the resume writing and job interview skills module.