- Why should I complete the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid)?
Because demonstrated financial need is an eligibility requirement for this scholarship program.
- How do I know if I qualify for federal financial aid?
West Hills College Lemoore has a Cost of Attendance (COA) and you will have an Estimated Family Contribution (EFC), which is calculated on your FAFSA. If COA minus EFC is positive (i.e., COA - EFC > 0), you qualify for federal aid.
- How will I know if I have received the scholarship?
Scholarship recipients will be notified in writing that they have been selected and will be required to sign a contract indicating their commitment to the program. Scholarship recipients will be invited to attend an award banquet sometime during April and a scholarship certificate will be presented to each recipient. Each scholarship is awarded on a yearly basis (up to $4,176 per scholarship per year). Each semester, recipients will receive up to $2,088. Applicants who are eligible but not selected for the program will receive a letter of regret. They can be reconsidered during the next application period provided the student files a new application.
- Can the scholarship be renewed?
Yes. Scholarship can be renewed on a yearly basis for up to two years pending funding if student satisfies the renewal requirements.
- Can I get other WHCL scholarship if I received this scholarship?
Yes. This scholarship does not prevent you from obtaining other scholarships offered by the college and department.
- How might this scholarship affect my other financial aid?
If you receive this scholarship, there is a possibility that your loans and other federal funding might be reduced. The reason is that the total of all federal aid cannot exceed West Hills College Lemoore Cost of Attendance (COA).
- What do I have to do as a S-STEM Scholar?
- meet with your designated S-STEM advisor on monthly basis
- attend the S-STEM scholars’ monthly meetings. These meetings will alternate between formal seminars about technical topics or informal meetings to help you learn about college resources and be successful in your major
- accept the mentoring of one advanced S-STEM scholar who will act as peer mentor. The mentor will share his/her WHCL experiences and encourage you to stay within the discipline.
- complete a survey that will be administered at the end of each semester, and be interviewed occasionally to assess the S-STEM scholar program at West Hills College Lemoore
- accept to act as a peer mentor during your second year in the program
- participate in professional development activities
- maintain a 3.0 GPA
- Can I receive this scholarship for a summer semester?
No. This scholarship is only available for fall and spring semesters.
- Do I need to reapply to receive the scholarship for the spring semester?
No. The NSF Scholarship is awarded on a yearly basis (fall and spring).
- What is the application deadline?
The application deadline open; however, recommended submission is for 2012-2013 is by September 4, 2012.
- When do I receive my check?
Scholarship checks can’t be issued until after the semester has started, as we must verify full-time enrollment (12 units), declared STEM major and cumulative GPA to ensure you meet all eligibility criteria. Therefore, scholarship checks will be issued approximately one month after the start of the semester.
- maintain a cumulative GPA of at least 3.0
- continue as a full-time student at West Hills College Lemoore with a major in a STEM discipline (must enroll in 12 or more units)
- continue to meet the federal financial aid requirements
- make satisfactory progress towards a degree in computer science, the sciences, engineering or mathematics
- participate in all required events in the program
- complete a program survey and short essay of thoughts on the program