The establishment of a college for the Coalinga Union High School District was proposed in the spring of 1932. The official beginning of the Coalinga Extension Center of Fresno State College dates from October 3, 1932. In September 1941, Coalinga Junior College became an independent unit under the direction of the Governing Board of the Coalinga Union High School District. Construction of a new campus on Cherry Lane near the northern limit of the City of Coalinga was begun on October 3, 1955, and the buildings were occupied on September 13, 1956.
In November of 1961, the voters of Coalinga Union High School District approved the formation of a separate junior college district, and in June of 1962, the voters of Lemoore High School District voted to annex to the college district, as did voters of Riverdale and Tranquillity High School Districts in December of 1962. Effective July 1, 1969, the official name of the college was changed to West Hills College in keeping with the nature of the expanded district.
In order to effectively serve the college district, West Hills College built the North District Center in the city of Firebaugh in 1971. In 1979 the District purchased land in the City of Lemoore, and in 1981 a classroom building and an office were erected. This was the Kings County Center until January 2002. On September 26, 2000, the Board of Trustees signed and accepted the “Agreement of Donation of Land for the West Hills College Lemoore” a generous donation from Robert and Mardell Pedersen and Lionel and Lola Semas.
Opening its doors to students on January 14, 2002, West Hills College Lemoore features 18 classrooms, a state-of-the-art science wing called a Collaboratory, the largest and most technologically advanced library in Kings County, a multipurpose center, a full-service student services and administration building, as well as an outdoor amphitheater for students and community members.