What is Upward Bound?
Upward Bound (UB) is a federally funded TRiO program for students who are interested in postsecondary education after graduation from high school. For the duration of the school year, students attend monthly Saturday Leadership Academies and take part in a weekly tutoring program. During the summer, students stay on the WHCC campus and participate in a full schedule of academic, social (including sports), and cultural activities for six weeks. During the school year and summer, students will also receive personal and academic advising, assistance with financial aid, college admission applications, preparation for the ACT, ACT fee waiver, will visit college campuses, and will be exposed to professional careers and mentors.
Who may apply?
Any student whose goal it is to obtain a college degree needs to apply. Students wishing to apply must meet the following 5 criteria:
1. Be a U.S Citizen, permanent resident, or in the U.S. for other than a temporary reason and provide evidence of their intent to become a permanent resident.
2. Be from a low-income family (as determined by TAXABLE income) AND/OR be a potential first- generation college student (neither parent has a 4-year degree).
3. Have a GPA of 2.5 or higher (math, English, science, history, and foreign language).
4. Be enrolled in the 9th, 10th,11th, or 12th grade, AND attend one of the three following high schools:
Coalinga HS Mendota HS Tranquillity HS
5. Be willing and able to participate in all scheduled program services and activities, unless a qualifying school activity prevents one from doing so. This includes attending the Saturday Academies during the school year and the six-week residential program each summer.
How much does Upward Bound Cost?
All services and activities are provided FREE of cost to all eligible participants. The only cost to the parents/guardians is their cooperation and support.
How do I apply?
You may request an application from your school counselor or download an application from firstname.lastname@example.org. Once you have completed the application, give it to:
along with your parent’s income tax return. The teacher will mail it to our office with your transcript and test scores. Only completed applications will be considered.
I’ve completed and turned in my application, now what?
UB staff will review all applications to determine eligibility. Once eligibility has been established, students will be selected based on need. Those selected will be required to, with at least one parent/guardian, meet with a staff person to discuss the program goals and requirements. Students not selected will be notified by mail. If he/she is eligible but not selected because the program is full, he/she will be placed on a waiting list. As an opening(s) becomes available, students will be selected from the waiting list based on need.