There are two different types of work experience programs:
Occupational Work Experience: This program is designed to extend occupational work opportunities through work, paid or voluntary, in the occupation of the student's major (Administration of Justice, Business, Child Development, Computer Information Systems, Education Assistant, Health Science, and Hotel/Restaurant/Casino Management). Students may earn up to 4 units per semester or a maximum of 16 units of total credit**. The student must be enrolled in classes (at least 7 units, including work-experience units).
During the summer session, the student must be enrolled in one other class that relates to their declared major.
Occupational Work Experience class codes are listed as follows:
Administration of Justice - AOJ 15X Business – BUS 15x
Computer Information System – CIS 15X Child Development – CD 15X
Education Assistant – EA 15X Health Science – HS 15X
Hotel/Restaurant/Casino Management – HRCM 15X
General Work Experience: This program is designed to aid the student in developing desirable work habits and need not be related to the college major or career intents. Students may earn up to 3 units per semester or a maximum of 6 units of total credit** in general work experience for paid or voluntary work. General Work Experience is not a payable class under VA benefits. The student must be enrolled in classes (at least 7 units, including work experience units).
During the summer session, the student must be enrolled in one other class (there are no minimum unit requirements during summer).
General Work Experience class code is listed as WE 15XX.
** - California State University College System accepts 12 units of work experience, no matter which option is chosen. All units transfer as elective classes.
SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS FOR ENROLLMENT IN THIS COURSE
The Student Must:
- Be enrolled in work experience, either General or Occupational. To be enrolled in an Occupational Work Experience class, the student must have a declared major that corresponds to the work experience section they wish to be enrolled in, be currently enrolled in at least one other required core course for their declared major, and have a job that is directly related to that declared major. If the student has completed all required courses for their major, they must be enrolled in at least one course that is directly related to their declared major.
- Be in the Parallel or Alternate program.
- Be enrolled in a minimum of at least seven (7) total semester units and complete all seven units to be eligible for work experience credits (work experience units count in this seven unit minimum). During the summer session, students must be enrolled in at least one other class concurrently with work experience.
- Be employed (paid or volunteer work). One credit is awarded for 75 hours paid work. One credit is awarded for 60 hours of volunteer work.
- Have the cooperation of the employer/supervisor and be able to successfully acquire needed input, signatures, and evaluations.
- Complete and sign all required documents found in the Work Experience Course Packet.
- Successfully complete the work hours required for units enrolled and have on file a signed verification of complete hours.
- Students less than 18 years of age may be required to have a work permit in order to participate in the work experience program.