West Hills CollegeCoalinga
College Catalog 2003 - 2004 Programs of StudyCourse DescriptionsGeneral InformationFaculty and Staff
Print Formatspacer

Non-Traditional Credit

West Hills College Coalinga Credit by Examination Policy

1.      Only courses that are actively being taught may be challenged.

2.      A maximum of 15 units may be earned through the credit by examination process.

3.      Petitions must be filed through the Educational Services Office.  Final approval of each petition is granted by the instructor concerned and the Dean of Educational Services.

4.      The challenge examination option for course credit may be given at the discretion of the individual instructor.

5.      The student, upon receiving approval to take an examination, will pay West Hills College $12.00 for the first unit and $6.00 for each successive unit of the course challenged.

6.      Challenge examinations may be given only by full-time instructors who currently teach the course.  In the event that the course is being taught completely by part-time instructors, the Dean of Educational Services will identify which part-time instructor will give the examination.

7.      The student is eligible to petition if he/she is currently enrolled and has successfully completed twelve (12) units in residence at West Hills College Coalinga.  Successful completion is defined for this purpose as having a C (2.0) average.

8.      Units for which credit is given pursuant to the provisions of this section shall not be counted in determining the 12 semester hours of credit in residence required by California Education Code Section 51623.

9.      Credit may be granted only for a course listed in the current West Hills College Coalinga catalog.

10.  Normally, activity and performance courses will not be approved for credit by examination. Summer session courses and short term classes may not be challenged.

11.  Students wishing to challenge a class in which they are currently enrolled must file a petition prior to the beginning of the third week of instruction. Upon approval of the petition, the student must drop the class.

12.  Students wishing to challenge a class in which they are currently not enrolled must file a petition prior to the sixth week of instruction.

13.  From the date of notification of approval, a maximum of four weeks will be allowed to pay the fee and complete the challenge.

14.  Challenge of the same course will be allowed no more than twice. The required fee will be imposed on each challenge.

15.  Letter grades A through F, unit value, and grade points will be entered on the transcript in the usual manner.  Courses cannot be challenged on a credit/no credit basis.  The instructor's grade with date of test will be filed in the permanent record section of the college.

Advanced Placement Examinations

West Hills College Coalinga will grant unit credit to those students who participate in the Advanced Placement Examinations offered by The College Board.  Students will receive unit credit, not a letter grade, for scores of 3, 4 or 5 for purposes of general education requirements, graduation, and/or advanced placement into West Hills College Coalinga courses.  In order to receive credit, a student must be currently enrolled at West Hills College and have completed at least twelve (12) units of course work at West Hills College Coalinga.  Students must submit their requests AND have their official copy of the College Board test scores forwarded to West Hills College Coalinga Office of Admissions and Records.  Requests should be made prior to registration, or as soon as possible during the first semester of attendance. No duplication of credit will be allowed for students who complete or will complete any courses equivalent to those covered by the examination.  Students should understand that some transfer institutions do not allow and/or limit credit by examination.

Credit for Military Schools

In all cases, the American Council on Education (ACE) 'Guide to the Evaluation of Educational Experiences in the Armed Forces' will be followed:

1.      West Hills College Coalinga will award equivalent college course credit for Military Service Schools as recommended by the ACE Directory.

2.      A maximum of twelve (12) semester units of elective degree credit may be awarded for those service schools that the ACE Directory recommends for specific lower division credit, but for which West Hills College Coalinga does not offer a specific equivalent.

3.      West Hills College Coalinga will not award college credit for military rank.


In compliance with existing college policy, a student seeking an evaluation of Military Service School must first complete a minimum of twelve (12) semester units of actual classroom work with West Hills College Coalinga.

There are two forms which are acceptable when requesting an evaluation of Military Service Schools:

1.            Application for the Evaluation of Educational Experience during Military Service (Form DD-295).

2.            West Hills College Coalinga Request for Evaluation of Military Record.

The counselor who evaluates the Military Service School records will notify students by letter of any credit received.  If granted by West Hills College Coalinga, such credit will be placed officially on the current transcript of the student. (See also Veterans in the student services section for additional information).

CLEP (College Level Examination Program)

West Hills College Coalinga allows a maximum of 24 semester units of credit which can be earned for successful completion of the College Level Examination Program (CLEP) - General Examinations at the 50th percentile or above.  The English portion is not acceptable at West Hills College Coalinga.  Further information concerning this program is available in the Counseling Center.

Transfer of College Units to High School

A high school non-graduate may choose to transfer college units to high school to satisfy the high school graduation requirements.  The student should understand that high school graduation is not a requirement for admission to West Hills College Coalinga for persons eighteen years of age or older and that course credit may be applied toward high school or college graduation.  The student should check with the high school regarding the transfer of college units to the high school for graduation before enrolling in college courses.  Courses used for high school credit may not be repeated for college credit.

Directed Studies

Some specialized course work may be completed through a "contract" with the instructor.  These "contracts" are usually designated as Directed Study Courses. The current numbering is Directed Study 49/99.

With the agreement of the instructor and administrative approval, a student may pursue advanced study after completing the introductory offerings in a particular field.  Students, in cooperation with the instructor, prepare and execute a written contract that address the following:  student's purpose, learning activities expected, methods and criteria for evaluation, contract beginning and ending dates, and unit-hours attempted. Signed contracts must be on file in the Admissions and Records Office before credit will be granted.

Auditing Courses

Students may audit West Hills College Coalinga classes by paying a $15.00 per unit fee. No student auditing a course shall be permitted to change his or her enrollment in that course to receive credit for the course. Priority in class enrollment shall be given to students desiring to take the course for credit towards a degree or certificate. Students must have the instructor's permission to audit the class.