"Being involved in the Precision Ag program has provided me with hands-on training and given me the experience I needed to work with the public. The knowledge I obtained at West Hills has also given me the communication skills to succeed in my line of work."
Sales Rep/Pest Control Adviser,
Helena Chemical Company, Hanford, CA
The Agriculture Ambassadors is an organization made up of students whose purpose is to act as a public relations branch of the Farm of the Future Agriculture Program at West Hills College Coalinga. The Ag Ambassadors recruit throughout the state of California, from the California/Oregon border to the California/Mexican border and everywhere in between.
When recruiting at high schools three goals drive the endeavors of the group by:
- First and foremost, encouraging high school students to pursue higher education and attend college;
- Promoting agriculture and encouraging students to pursue a career in the field of Agriculture;
- Finally, if they are going to attend college in the field of Agriculture then why not attend West Hills College?
The Ag Ambassadors offer two options when recruiting at high schools:
- Short Presentation: 15-20 minute classroom discussion informing students about the benefits of college, a career in agriculture and WHCC’s available programs.
- Class Takeover: 10-15 minute classroom discussion informing students about the benefits of college, a career in agriculture and WHCC’s available programs followed by a hands-on lab exercise utilizing some of the technology that we use in our everyday class work.
If you are a high school teacher and would like the Ag Ambassadors to come to your school or have any questions, please contact the Agriculture Department at 559-934-2700