Why should you fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)? Because you may qualify for thousands of dollars in funding for your West Hills College education. You can fill out the FAFSA for the following school year as early as October 1st.
Filling out the 2017-2018 FAFSA earlier rather than later in the year can make it easier for you to choose a college, giving you the tools you need to make the right decision for you. The official deadline to submit isn’t until June 30 for federal student aid, but filling the FAFSA out early will provide you with a better idea of what aid you’ll be eligible for. Here are a few tips from West Hills College to make the process easier.
- The big tip you’ll get from this post is this: fill out the FAFSA as soon after October 1 as possible. Some federal programs have limited funds and applying earlier gives you a chance at more scholarships than if you wait until June.
- If you fill the FAFSA out earlier, the colleges you’re applying to may give you a look at your financial aid package earlier. This is a win for you since it’ll make comparing colleges easier.
- Have all the tax forms you’ll need to reference on hand. What forms you need has also changed this year. Since you can access FAFSA earlier, you’ll now need to provide 2015 income information on the FAFSA. So have your tax forms (W-2s and Federal Income Tax Return) and your parents’ tax forms from 2015 on hand when you start filling it out.
- Also make sure that you know your social security number and have access to current bank statements and any information about business and investment mortgages, business and farm records and stock, bond and other investment records for you and your parents.
- File the FAFSA even if you don’t think you’re eligible for any aid. There’s a chance you’ll be eligible for something so apply, apply, apply.
- Avoid common mistakes: https://www.nasfaa.org/fafsa_tips
You don’t want to make a mistake and miss out on aid!
And finally, don’t wait until the last minute to fill it out! Make sure you give yourself enough time to fill it out and seek help if you have questions. West Hills College counselors and student services staff are here to help!
Get more information on how to fill out the application and what school codes to enter here:
Learn More About Financial Aid